Wednesday, July 7, 2010

back in the tent and a patio conversation

As I type this, Phil is fast asleep in a tent. Not a camping tent, but more of a transition tent. At least that's how I think of it. He slept in this tent when he first arrived in Balad, and now he is back, sleeping in a tent just before he leaves Balad. [insert happy dance:: mini-celebration here] Not the best sleeping conditions, but doesn't he look peaceful in this picture? I could just tip-toe over and sit down beside him and kiss his face. This picture was taken many, many months ago, but I love it. Poor guy is just trying to relax as much as possible, in Iraq, in a tent.





I wonder what he is dreaming about? What song he is listening to? I couldn't sleep like that. I sleep on my side in a little ball. He's a tough guy and never complains [another reason I love him so].
Today was a productive day here in Virginia Beach. I stayed inside all morning and afternoon, except to take Macie for her walks [approximately five times today]. I cleaned and organized those little spots in my house that needed some attention. I got rid of old shopping receipts and cleaned out my purses, consolidated all of my loose change into a zip-loc baggie, bagged up old clothes to donate to Goodwill and organized my wedding projects [programs, guest gift tags, starfish and such]. I did get out tonight around 7:00. I decided that this is a very good time to run errands: not much traffic, hardly anyone in the stores and it's much cooler outside. I went to TJ Maxx and found a new flowerpot for our patio, and a flower basket to hang on my house. Next stop, Lowes. Here I purchased two plants [hot pink ones] and an outdoor patio rug.

I am in the process of giving our patio a little makeover. I love my patio. You must walk through it to get to the front door so it needs to be inviting and comfy. I can't wait to sit outside [on a cool night] when Phil gets home. We can grill out for dinner, listen to music, and enjoy a great outdoor/patio conversation. You might be wondering what type of conversation that might be. Well, it is much different than an indoor living room conversation. A patio conversation consists of talking about all the things you love about being outside, and OUCH! maybe how a bug just bit you [hopefully not, but it happens sometimes], you talk about your plans and how nice it is to just slow down and be in one another's company. You also look at one another and smile a little more. Silence is easier and is welcomed when you're outside. And then! You get the idea to fire up the grill again [after dinner, of course] and make SMORES.









1 comment: