Wednesday, February 24, 2010

shortbread cookies and canceled trips make my day

There's something to be said about the simple things in life. Trips to Target in the middle of the week with one of your best friends, shortbread girl scout cookies, babies and unexpected phone calls are four things that come to mind. Nothing was going to be very special about today,but sometimes those are the days that turn out to be the most special. I'm such a laid back person and am especially happy when things are simple and stress free. I stayed after school this afternoon, turned up my country music and graded a large stack of papers. Doing so reduced my stress level quite a bit. I then left my school, picked up Jess and headed to Target where I purchased new sandals. I was very excited to find them. Trying to find shoes that I love- in my size- is difficult and sometimes depressing. My rule is this: If I find shoes that I really love in my size, I buy them- even if I don't really need them.
After a mini shopping adventure, we returned home. Well, the home of Jessica, and my former home before 425 MDW. I miss living with her. I love my condo, but wish that she could be my neighbor. Tonight, she fixed dinner, while I sat at the kitchen bar and indulged in shortbread girl scout cookies. They were amazing. I ate four and could have eaten three more...
I also got to see Gina and baby Jacob tonight. I am sad that I don't get to see them as much as I'd like either. I think if I had my way in life, everyone I loved would live on the same street. Everytime I see Jacob, he has learned to do something new. He has found his hands and is so alert. And he's just about the cutest thing ever. I'm so happy for both Kevin and Gina to have such a little miracle in their lives.
Lastly, the simple thing that started my day off with a smile was my unexpected phone call. Phil was supposed to be traveling to another base in Iraq. I knew that I wouldn't talk to him for a few days, so I said goodbye last night before I went to bed. He called this morning when I woke up. I was surprised at how excited I got when I saw his number on my cell phone. His trip was canceled and I was glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment