Monday, February 1, 2010

it's a love story, a really good one

I find myself taking deep breaths, very often. I almost can't believe my very own love story. I was in church last Sunday and I was looking at my bulletin and there was a very simple statement that got my attention. It was this: When God writes your love story....
I think about it almost daily. The relationship I share with Phillip is unexpected and there is a very special part of our relationship that is different than anything I've ever experienced. Sometimes I lack the vocabulary and the ability to put into words exactly how I feel. I am a person with a lot of anxiety. I am always, always ten steps ahead of myself and often let moments pass me by. Sometimes... I am just a mess. Analyzing. Planning. Stressing. It's ridiculous the amount of sleepless nights I have experienced. Luckily, Phil has a way of keeping me in the moment and slowing me down. It's funny to put it that way, because life is about to be very chaotic, busy and will require tons of planning in the near future. But for today, God has given us a chance to slow down and really explore who we are as a couple, our expecatations and hopes and dreams for each other in our relationship and a marriage. This deployment is a gift from God. A year to just wait and pray and to talk and to learn. Learning is a huge part of this journey. I have learned more about myself this year than the past few combined. I needed this. God knew it and that's what makes fall in love with Him and His plan. I really have the best of both worlds. I have been blessed with an amazing man who I fell for instantly, but God gave us the time, especially me... time to just be in the moment. Take one step. Breathe. Another step. One letter, one phone call, one day at a time. At first, I didn't look too far ahead and didn't want to. I was content with being in the moment. I love all of the little moments that have added up to be an amazing story. Here are a few amazing things about our relationship:
Trust is the absolute key in holding us together, especially when we are so far apart
Communication is effortless and enjoyable
Laughter transcends hundreds of miles
I feel as if I could conquer the world... or just teach a room full of energetic sixth graders
My smile is brighter and people notice
Never taking a day for granted means something different than it did before...
I'm excited about who I am and smile when he appreciates my unique attributes
Questions are easier to ask
Listening is more important than speaking
Finding ways to express love is a daily mission
I have become a better person- a better daughter, sister, friend, teacher... a better version of myself
Being vulnerable and exposing my fears was much easier when I knew I was safe
Honesty happens naturally
Kind words roll off my tongue
Understanding replaces anger
Patience replaces frustration
Peacefulness replaces anxiety
Trust replaces jealousy
... a lot of amazing things happened because God wrote our love story.

No comments:

Post a Comment