Saturday, February 6, 2010

children's books, an excessive wardrobe and a handsome soldier

Maybe if I change my patio flag to say "Spring...it's your turn!" it would begin to warm up and I could post pictures of my spring flowers? That might be a good idea. But for now, it is snowing again in Virginia Beach. I've lived here pretty much my whole life and can honestly say that I have very few memories that involve snow.
This was last weekend's snow storm. Virginia Beach's own mini blizzard. My little snow day was a somewhat productive day. A load of laundry, took my Jeep to get inspected, bought 5...or maybe 10 children's books at Ollie's. If you have ever visited this overwhelming discount bargin store you will know why I purchased so many books. They are usually $3.99 and under. Most of the books I bought today were under. Infact----$1.99 was the most popular price on my receipt. You may still be wondering why I purchase children's books when I don't have any children. I've always wanted to have a huge collection of books for my future children. So I got started with this collection early- about four years ago while I was in college. You should feel better knowing that I never pay full price for a book. I usually find great stories at bargin stores, yard sales or through Scholastic Book Clubs. I loved being read to when I was a little girl and still have memories of my favorite books... I want my children to fall in love with books and also snuggling up at bedtime with me to read their books that they will fall in love with. So the books that came home with me today will sit right on my book shelf in my guest bedroom until my future little one will select a book, carefully, because it's the one he/she really loves. But if you come to visit me and stay in my guest bedroom.... you are allowed to read them. I already warned Philip that I have this small collection started. Fortunately, he thought it was a pretty good idea too.

Oh, and I bought a necklace and two pairs of earrings today at Stein Mart. I think it's safe to say that I just really love shopping and adding to my various collections. I do have a weakness when it comes to adding to these collections. Things I love to buy most for my collections include: jewelry (mostly costume or beaded jewelry), underwear-when it's on sale, children's books, blank greeting cards, and ofcourse anything for my wardrobe that already takes up three closets and three dressers. But again, I have warned Phil of my excessive wardrobe. I feel that it's only fair that I'm upfront with him about these things.
I saw the movie Dear John last night with my friend, Courtney. As always, the book was so much better. I remember getting lost in the book and shedding tears as I turned the pages. The movie wasn't terrible and the ending was left for the movie viewers interpretation. I did cry. Several times. I cried more for real life soldiers who recieve Dear John letters. Phil explained where the term Dear John letters came from. A "Dear John letter" is a letter written to a husband or boyfriend to inform them that their relationship with their girlfriend or wife is over because they met someone else. Doesn't it break your heart to know that men and women are in other countries, some that are scary and uncomfortable, fighting for their country and get the news that the very person they thought they could count on, gave up-moved on-found someone new? I have only had six months of this experience, and cannot say that I am an expert on this subject, but I can't imagine not standing by Philip and waiting for him. I guess some women aren't cut out to be a military wife, but shouldn't they know what they are signing up for? And if you love someone, shouldn't you love them despite the distance and the hardships. I believe that faith, love, God and trust must be the crucial values that a military marriage is built upon. *So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.* Isaiah 41:10 I believe that God has prepared my heart for this role that I am gladly signing up for- an Army wife.



And even if Philip was in another profession- that kept him at home- everyday- I would stand by him no matter what. I'm especially proud of him, and the simple fact that he is a Captain in the United States Army, makes me love him even more. I admire and respect what he is doing and sacrificing. I want to be the one he comes home to at the end of every deployment. Besides, he looks real handsome in his uniform.

How could I not stand by this man? He loves me and accepts my need to add to my various collections of children's books, clothes and other essentials. :) I'm one lucky girl.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post... and I especially love that you are already buying books for your future children. I love reading to Alekzander and even at 2 months old, he sits perfectly still when I ready him stories from The Jesus Storybook Bible. You'd love it! :)

    ReplyDelete