Monday, July 12, 2010

you kept us connected








Dear Skype,
We have become good friends over the past year. When I first downloaded you, I knew our relationship would become a close one. I counted on you every night to connect me with my Phil while he was away in Iraq. Thank you for letting me use you to keep in touch with the ones I love most: Phil, my mom and a quick date, once upon a time, with my Tessa. Even though at times I got mad at you when you didn't work as well for Phil as you did for me, I still appreciate everything you did for us! [I think I know why you worked better for me...you secretly like the US more than you do Iraq. I understand, trust me!] Overall, on most nights you pulled through and kept us and our worlds connected. You allowed us to talk and share our days and to share smiles and a few tears, you even let Macie use you to say hello too! Phil logged in at 4AM...and me between 9-10PM. You stayed on while we fell asleep and kept us close while we both lay on our pillows.
Skype, you made my life so much easier and helped me to feel not so lonely. You should know that my favorite part of my day was when I opened my laptop, logged on and heard all of your sounds telling me that Phil was calling!
If you've been wondering where we've been lately, Phil had to move out of his trailer and hasn't been able to access you as frequently. To be completely honest [because honesty is what all good relationships must have] you probably won't be seeing much us in the upcoming year or two. You see, Phil is coming home and we will be able to talk and communicate face to face. So don't be upset when you don't hear from us. We really appreciate all that you've done and that you offer: your friendship and services for free! I'm sure you'll be busy with thousands and thousands of other couples who are just trying to stay as close as possible, and for friends and family members who have to be apart. Oh! That reminds me, I will use you to call my mom in South Carolina. We like to have show and tell when we go shopping!

I may be using you tomorrow to talk to Phil one last time before he leaves Balad! This will be the best Skype date ever, I'm sure!

Thank you for always being there when I just needed to see my best friend who had to be over there and not here...with me.

All my love,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment