Monday, July 19, 2010

american pie

Typically, you associate American pie with apple pie, but in this girls' American kitchen, American pie is my grandmother's recipe for strawberry pie. I have loved this wonderfully perfect dessert since I was a little girl. My Papa and I both LOVED it.
Sidenote: When I was little, I wanted my Grandma [my mom's mother] and my Papa [biological father's father] to get married. It made sense to me. I loved them both so much and they seemed to enjoy each other's company and my Papa L-O-V-E-D my grandma's home cookin'!
So what do you do when the one you love is coming home from Iraq? You make him an American pie! I know it's probably not his favorite, but I do love this pie and I want to introduce him to this little piece of heaven.

A few weeks ago, I was privileged to spend a week [almost] with my Grandma Shelby. First, you should know that this was one of the highlights of my summer. We spent much needed quality time together. You see, my grandma and I are very close. We talk several times a week and write to one another with our stationary. We have been upholding this tradition for over six years now [since college]. She's a huge part of my life and I love her dearly. I think everyone should spend a week with their grandmother. It's a great time to slow down and enjoy what matters most in life: family. A time to laugh, and bake [and boy, did we bake and cook!]. I listened to her stories and we shared memories and made new ones. We shopped and visited and relaxed. The best naps I've ever taken in my life took place on my Grandma's couch. Here are some things I knew about her, but really appreciate and love: she has the most generous heart, she could work her way around the kitchen with her eyes closed, she has a great sense of humor, she is an angel, I call her the town sweetheart, she loves a good movie and good company, she likes a good bargain too [like me!], she is dedicated and never stops, she is a volunteer and the sunshine that brightens everyones day and she's always up for anything.... and yes, if you must know, she spoils me to pieces!

Tomorrow [tomorrow!] Phil comes home and perhaps he will be in the mood for a slice of American [strawberry] pie. I made this pie with fresh strawberries and lots of love. I've also saved up lots of hugs and kisses for him too!

3 comments:

  1. Heather ~ You made my night reading your blog post tonight!! Once again, I laughed out loud and cried happy tears for you too! I love you!!

    I am sure Grandma will love it too when she reads it tomorrow! :) I am so proud of you and I know that Grandma Shelby and Papa Moody are just as proud!! Strawberry PIE!! Yum Yum! Good night darling and sweet dreams to you....ps...it is almost tomorrow....10 more minutes!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Heather! Well, the day that you have been counting down for is finally here!! :)I know that you woke up this morning with a huge smile on your face and one in your heart as well!! I am so happy for you and I just want you to know that I will be there with you and Phil in heart and spirit.

    I woke up this morning with two songs in my head...you know how much I love to go around humming songs...so, I knew that you would appreciate knowing what was on my mind this morning. If you remember the song that I use to sing to you (and Cody too) when you were little, "God is so Good....God is so Good....God is so good... He's so good to me!" As well as "This is the day...this is the day that the Lord hath made, that the Lord hath made. We will rejoice, we will rejoice and be glad in it!"

    I sure love you Heather! Relax and Enjoy all the memories in you heart, until tonight comes when you will jump into Phil's arms!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, You made my day! TODAY is a special day in your life. Your planning and getting ready for it is just like you. The pie and cookies you have made will be a special treat for Phil. Remember, the way to a man's heart is thru his stomach.HA..Enjoy the day..July 20,2010. A day to remember along with the other special days in the future. God Bless, Love , Grandma Shelby

    ReplyDelete